For all of our RACING, TOURING/FITNESS and MINI kayaks we use a self-made footrest system. Our footrests are made up by two parts: a surface treated plywood plate & an aluminium frame with a spring-slider system.
SET-UP & INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE
The footrest is connected to the boat with a pair of punched aluminium rails that were attached to plywood bridge. This connecting rail & bridge is laminated previously inside the boat and also serves as a connecting platform of the Tiller Bar (T-Bar) (FS1-4)
The distance of the footrest can be adjusted by a simple spring-slider. This fixes the frame to the rail. Just pull the spring-slider together and slide the footrest into the connecting rails – until the right distance. Then simply release the spring-slider.
Once you've adjusted the distance, the footrest can be double-fixed by two bolt with knurled nylon nut (M111) from below. You can easily tighten these bolts by hand reaching them under the footrest. The bolts push the connecting rails onto the frame of the footrest.
PLATE SIZES & VARIANTS
The footrest plates are made with various widths and variants depending on the boat type where they will be used.
- A 21 cm wide Narrow Racing Footrest Plate is used For all RACING kayaks as standard
- A 21 cm wide Full Racing Footrest Plate is an available choice for all RACING kayaks
- A 26 cm wide Mini Footrest Plate is used for MINI kayaks
- A 31 cm wide Touring Footrest Plate is used for TOURING/FITNESS boats.
Rear plates are also available for double and team boats in each size. They are made without the slot for the Tiller Bar.
Different types of frames are also available
- Standard frame (as described above) is used for all RACING, TOURING/FITNESS and MINI kayaks as standard. It suits for most paddlers as the default footrest-seat distance is set up and adjusted after each paddler's height.
- Long frame is suggested for smaller-than-average paddlers, as the frame here is 7 cm longer. However it is important to note that this frame variant does NOT allow a higher range for adjusting the footrest-seat distance, only brings the footplate closer! It is an available choice for each boat types, yet it is advised mainly as a spare part (eg. for club usage, when many people of different heights will paddle the boat). Otherwise we advise to set up the whole footrest/steering system closer to the seat!
- Adjustable frame: by this frame the plate will be adjustable in 3 angles. As the angle of the Standard frame is set up to suit for most paddlers, it is advised only for professional racing purposes. It is also an available choice for RACING and TOURING/FITNESS kayaks.
Tiller Bars (T-Bars) (FS1-5)
For all of our RACING, TOURING/FITNESS & MINI kayaks a T-shaped alumunium bar is used to steer the boat by feet. Its center is attached to the wooden platform of Footrest connecting rail & bridge (F19). Their stems are holding and pulling the steering cords as you steer the boat by the shaft using your feet. This shaft runs through the plate of the footrest smoothly, making the steering nice and easy even during intensive legwork of sprint paddling.
The Tiller Bars are made in four sizes (21, 26, 31, 36 cm) and two variants:
- A Standard T-Bar (FSx1) is used for TOURING/FITNESS & MINI kayaks in STANDARD construction, where pullbars are NOT a standard feature.
- An Adjustable T-Bar (FSx2) is used for all RACING kayaks and TOURING/FITNESS kayaks in non-STANDARD constructions. In these cases setting the shaft length is essential because of the pullbars (which are standard features then). Adjusting can be made simply by hand using a bolt with knurled nylon nut (M111) on the top of the T-Bars.
Standard (left) and Adjustable (right) T-Bars
See this article for detailed description of each available pullbars (link)